This chilly August day + a lunch break spent perusing beauty articles has inspired me to jot down the 5 musts for the imminent autumn season.
1) Make use of more natural tones as well as earthy and cool colors when doing eye makeup — think purple, dark green, bronze, blue, etc
StyleCaster does an excellent job in choosing fall products here!
2) Swap your bronzer for your blush — Be sure to sweep the cheekbones and not so much the apples of your cheeks to give your face some nice contouring
3) Equip yourself with a good daily moisturizer for the colder months
4) Treat yourself to a nice daily lipstick — something you can wear to school & work, like a versatile pink or mauve
5) Invest in gel manicures — with busy schedules, it’s hard to find time to do your nails/head to your manicurist; gel manicures last for about 3 weeks and stay perfectly put and chip-free
So I know many people who go to great lengths to attain the perfectly toussled beachy-wavy look seen on many an edgy runway. Some go for perms that give them the surfer girl effect. Others use thick curling irons and use their hands to distress their previous styling effort. Some even go the wear-braids-to-bed route.
Fret no more. Bumble & Bumble makes your life/style/time saver — and it’s aptly named “Surf Spray”. It’s perfect for adding texture and volume for any hair type. Best results when hair is wet and towel-dried after a shower. Spray 3-5 times (or as needed) and let air dry. Scrunch it a little if you’re feeling ambitious. Otherwise, let nature do her thing and you’ll notice some sexy, voluminous waves you never thought your hair had before.
The best part about this product? It’s weightless and not product-y. It’s like a nice salty beach mist without the gunky feeling of actually going in the ocean. There’s salt in the formula but it doesn’t leave too much build up. It’s low-maintenance, just as every surfer girl should be.
$23 on Amazon & at select salons
For my girls heading to or returning to campus in the fall, here’s an excellent list of knockout products, already compiled in a nice list for you. Be sure to bookmark this page — there’s a few things on here that you totally need but can easily overlook! (See: dry shampoo - seriously, it’ll save your “holy shit I just overslept for my Monday 8am class” dilemma). Also, see the makeup organizer and the day-to-night palette….just genius.
Some helpful tips from beauty experts to ring in the weekend with:
(1) Apply your moisturizer while the skin is still damp — when skin is completely dry, moisturizer isn’t absorbed as effectively. - Pat McGrath
(2) Line the inner rims of your eyes with white eyeliner to look more awake. - BeautyHigh.com
(3) To make a manicure last longer, apply a thin layer of clear every two days after. - Myrdith Leon McCormack
(4) Apply foundation before concealer! Once foundation is on, use your concealer to tackle dark circles and blemishes. - Pat McGrath
(5) Don’t exfoliate everyday! - BeautyHigh.com