So we’re officially in the double digits of August (how depressing, I know) and hopefully all you ladies are at your peak tan-wise. (And if not, we can fix that seamlessly, don’t worry.)
Here’s a run-down of the 7 essentials you need in your makeup bag that will get you through labor day. The list encompasses products that will complement your tan and combat those sauna-like end-of-summer days.
1) An oil-free primer. If you decide to layer on that foundation during the summer months, make sure you’re using an oil-free (and/or water based primer). The last thing you need is a heavy primer that’ll clog your pores! Try LORAC’s aquaPRIME foundation primer — it’s silicone & paraben free.
2) An illuminator. Brighten up your complexion in one fell swoop with an illuminator that highlights and makes skin glow (even more!). Try NARS Orgasm Illuminator for a peachy/pink/golden flush.
3) Waterproof mascara. Does this even need an explanation? L’OREAL makes a good one and it’s easy on your wallet too!
4) An eyeshadow that complements your tan. I find that I tend to stray away from things like the smokey eye in the summer and opt for shimmery golds, peaches and pinks. The shimmer and the light colors brighten up your eyes and make you look awake — not to mention simply complement a golden tan! NARS makes a great duo called “Hula Hula”.
5) A good bronzer. For those playing catch up or have been stuck indoors a lot this summer (like myself) — a solid bronzer has never done anyone wrong. MAC Bronzing Powder gives you the glow with no sign of any orange. It has a light shimmer to it! What’s not to love?
6) Waterproof liquid eyeliner. People were going batshit crazy when Make Up Forever came out with their Aqua Liner for summer. And honestly, it makes the “tried and true” list because of its staying power and great definition. Definitely worth the investment.
7) Makeup setting spray. Another worthy investment: Urban Decay’s All Nighter spray. 3 simple spritzes after makeup has been applied and dried keeps you good for at least 12 hours — not matter what the weather conditions are.
L’Oreal Double Extend Lash Fortifier and Extender Mascara (in Black - Waterproof)
Now that it’s officially feeling like summer, we all have pools to swim in, runs to go on, and beaches to relax at. But of course, with those pleasures also come the inevitable sweating that summer involves.
In addition to a makeup setting spray, I highly recommend you pack a waterproof mascara in your bag for those scorching 90-degree days. I’m usually not a huge fan of waterproof mascaras (ones I’ve used in the past tended to flake or being ridiculously difficult to remove). But lo and behold, someone recommended L’Oreal Double Extend mascara and it proved all my doubts wrong.
This mascara made my lashes noticeably longer and thicker — I think the key here is in the primer. I always apply the second coat of black right after I put on the first coat of primer to avoid letting it dry out. I wore it to the beach yesterday and returned home with lashes fully in tact, no flaking or raccoon eyes for me! Ultimate win. I’m sure if this mascara can combat sweat, ocean water and a sandstorm or two, it can also combat crying (but I hope no one has to experience that!). I love the thickness that this mascara gives to my lashes and it doesn’t budge. The only con is that like most waterproof mascaras, the formula tends to clump more so be sure to brush through your lashes root-to-tip when applying.
Pros: lengthening, thickening, great waterproof formula, no flaking, no smudging, primer + mascara included
Cons: minor clumping so be diligent and thorough when applying
~ $10 at your local drugstore