In the midst of a beauty world with options such as cherry red lipstick, firecracker glitter nail polish, teal eyeliner and hot pink kabuki blush, sometimes it’s nice to go back to basics. And what better time to return than fall? September marks the time to complement the tan you worked so hard for and accentuate your best features with an effortless disguise. Here’s a running list of some products for oomph while staying au naturale:
China Glaze’s Fast Track
Originally from the Hunger Games-inspired collection, this nude shade (with bits of gold shimmer) goes with any outfit while remaining neutral enough for a job interview.
Jouer SPF 15 Lip Sheer in Capri
This one always makes me feel like I’m wearing lipstick without the commitment of wearing lipstick. It’s sheerness and baby pink color makes itsuper natural and wearable everyday without having to touch up every 5 minutes.
Smashbox Eye Beam Double Ended Brightener
This pencil is my dream come true. I’m obsessed with highlighting my browbone, the inner corners of my eyes and lining the rims…and guess what? This one DOES IT ALL. #winning
Rimmel Glam’Eyes Trio Eyeshadow in Orion A more affordable option than the Naked Palette — good for quick & easy on a daily basis. Use the lightest shade for a highlight, the darkest for the crease and the medium to blend it out!
Urban Decay Naked Palette (1)
Cause the original is always the best. I use all shades on a regular basis (minus the 3 to the right) and am running out, using my Naked 2 and weeping. #semiwhitegirlproblems
Tarte EmphasEYES Inner Rim Brightener
Looking awake is going to be important and a priority, especially when classes start. Save the kohl-rimmed eyes for the bar and opt for a lighter option during the day. Thank you, Tarte, just thank you.
Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Definition Liquid Makeup
The name of the product is kind of a spoiler in its own right. Weightless? Check. Naked skin? Check. Ultra definition….maybe is Urban Decay lingo for a matte finish with luminosity.
Below are some products that I’m currently lusting after — I just felt the need to share some modern takes on classic beauty staples! Enjoy!
MAC Ruffian Naked Lipstick
Cause if anyone can properly execute a nude lip, MAC can.
Deborah Lippmann’s Let’s Go Crazy
I like Deborah Lippmann. I like going crazy. I like the looks of this polish cause it looks plain CRAZY. (I also want every polish DB makes…forever.)
Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream
Specifically #13 Warm Beige because it’s a shimmery champagne color that’s completely wearable for everyday. But then again… I said this about both my Naked palettes and countless eyeshadows from Rimmel, NARS, etc.
Butter London’s Wallis
I mean, HELLO AUTUMN.
Make Up For Ever’s Aqua Eyes (19L)
Cause honestly, even jet black eyeliner can get redundant.
Sephora Silicone Free Foundation Primer
Potentially a cure for the giant SOS our skin is sending us. Cheaper than LORAC’s non-silicone primer, but is it worth a try? Hmm…
You’re going out on a Friday night and you’re rockin’ a tiny, studded black sidebag or a cute pastel envelope clutch…so the last thing you need is annoyingly heavy beauty products to hold you back.
Enter Stainiac by theBalm ($17). It works as a lip stain and a cheek stain — so you can toss aside the lipstick/lipgloss and blush for the night. Plus, Stainiac is a water-based gel, so when it goes on, it’ll stay on. Especially in this summer scorcher.
Stainiac came to me in my June Birchbox and has been in my clutch ever since. It comes in three shades: peach (“Homecoming Queen”), light pink (“Prom Queen”) and dark pink (“Beauty Queen”). Best part? The color is totally build-able, so you can choose to add a gentle flush of color or go full on diva.
KIKO Milano has been one of my best abroad finds yet! Think of a bright and cheerful Sephora setting with all the eyeshadows and lipsticks a girl could dream of…for a fraction of the price.
I’ve bought lipstick (in bright magenta), the Unforgettable mascara and a bright orange nail polish for spring — I can safely say I am completely happy with all my purchases.
Though KIKO may not be your new replacement for your Bare Minerals foundation or your beloved NARS blush, it’s a great place to try out new colors because the affordable prices allow you to do just that!
So take a peek, choose a few pastel nail polishes or poppy lipsticks for spring and enjoy!
1) Benefit’s “They’re Real” Mascara — I’ve talked up this product like crazy recently, but it is seriously a must-have mascara. It NEEDS to be in your makeup bag, no if’s, and’s or but’s about it! It’s the best thing since sliced bread…or at least since Diorshow Blackout. For the full review, read on here. ($22)
2) Vera Wang’s Lovestruck Perfume — It’s very romantic and sweet, thus the name. I tried a sample about a week ago and it lingered, borderline sweet floral and kind of vanilla musk. Perfumes need to be tried on before bought, obviously, but if you like Princess by Vera Wang, you’ll like this as well. Consider it Princess’ sophisticated older sister (but only older by about 3 years). ($48)
3) Bobbi Brown Bronze Tortoiseshell Eye Palette — Bobbi’s new eyeshadow palette offers the most perfect neutral shades for autumn (but never dull neutrals, of course)! Think shimmery bronzes, creams, olives, chocolates and golds. Made for layering, not blending. Think of it as a relative to the Naked Palette. ($60)
4) DKNY’s Golden Delicious Perfume — If DKNY’s PR girl was a scent, this would be it. Glam, sophisticated, on-the-go and fun. It smells young without being too young and sweet without being too sweet. With apple, florals and sandalwood, this combination is a winner. ($42)
5) Too Faced Perfectly Pretty Set — I stumbled upon this Too Faced mini set on the Sephora website and realized what a great deal it was. It includes: a mini Lash Injection mascara, a mini Shadow Insurance eyeshadow primer, a Primed & Poreless face primer and a cute little cosmetics bag. For about $16, you get all the glam necessities in a cute bag. Too Faced’s makes a great mascara, everyone needs a shadow primer (but not enough people use it) and a pore reducing primer is priceless (say that 5 times fast!). ($16.50 online only)
6) Urban Decay Super-Saturated High Gloss Lip Color — Tired of lipstick smearing off within an hour? Annoyed with lipgloss that constantly gets stuck to you hair? Urban Decay now makes a remedy in a quaint little pencil. It’s highly pigmented but also glossy, leaving lips nice and smooth but also fully colored in. UD offers pretty pinks, bright fuschias and fun orangey reds. The pencil is made with paraffin, which is used in hand creams as well to keep things smooth. ($19)
Bobbi Brown Creamy Lip Color
In the spirit of all things Bobbi Brown, I’m going to go ahead and recommend you all go buy some Bobbi Brown Creamy Lip Color. I have the Pink Ballet color and it’s a little shimmery. If you’re not into hardcore lipstick, Bobbi Brown is the way to go. It’s subtle enough but still gives you a perfect pout. It’s perfect for everyday wear! It almost acts like a lip balm instead of a lipstick (you don’t get that whole crackling issue because this lipstick is hydrating).
Pros: goes on smooth, a million everyday shades to choose from, hydrating, shades come with/without shimmer
Cons: needs to be reapplied
$22 at Bobbi Brown counters at select department stores