You’re going out on a Friday night and you’re rockin’ a tiny, studded black sidebag or a cute pastel envelope clutch…so the last thing you need is annoyingly heavy beauty products to hold you back.
Enter Stainiac by theBalm ($17). It works as a lip stain and a cheek stain — so you can toss aside the lipstick/lipgloss and blush for the night. Plus, Stainiac is a water-based gel, so when it goes on, it’ll stay on. Especially in this summer scorcher.
Stainiac came to me in my June Birchbox and has been in my clutch ever since. It comes in three shades: peach (“Homecoming Queen”), light pink (“Prom Queen”) and dark pink (“Beauty Queen”). Best part? The color is totally build-able, so you can choose to add a gentle flush of color or go full on diva.
Sephora has decided to make “shimmer sheets” (think like oil-blotting sheets) in little booklets so you can bronze, blush and illuminate no matter where you are.
Thoughts? Questions? Concerns? Will you try this new Sephora goodie for summer?
So we’re officially in the double digits of August (how depressing, I know) and hopefully all you ladies are at your peak tan-wise. (And if not, we can fix that seamlessly, don’t worry.)
Here’s a run-down of the 7 essentials you need in your makeup bag that will get you through labor day. The list encompasses products that will complement your tan and combat those sauna-like end-of-summer days.
1) An oil-free primer. If you decide to layer on that foundation during the summer months, make sure you’re using an oil-free (and/or water based primer). The last thing you need is a heavy primer that’ll clog your pores! Try LORAC’s aquaPRIME foundation primer — it’s silicone & paraben free.
2) An illuminator. Brighten up your complexion in one fell swoop with an illuminator that highlights and makes skin glow (even more!). Try NARS Orgasm Illuminator for a peachy/pink/golden flush.
3) Waterproof mascara. Does this even need an explanation? L’OREAL makes a good one and it’s easy on your wallet too!
4) An eyeshadow that complements your tan. I find that I tend to stray away from things like the smokey eye in the summer and opt for shimmery golds, peaches and pinks. The shimmer and the light colors brighten up your eyes and make you look awake — not to mention simply complement a golden tan! NARS makes a great duo called “Hula Hula”.
5) A good bronzer. For those playing catch up or have been stuck indoors a lot this summer (like myself) — a solid bronzer has never done anyone wrong. MAC Bronzing Powder gives you the glow with no sign of any orange. It has a light shimmer to it! What’s not to love?
6) Waterproof liquid eyeliner. People were going batshit crazy when Make Up Forever came out with their Aqua Liner for summer. And honestly, it makes the “tried and true” list because of its staying power and great definition. Definitely worth the investment.
7) Makeup setting spray. Another worthy investment: Urban Decay’s All Nighter spray. 3 simple spritzes after makeup has been applied and dried keeps you good for at least 12 hours — not matter what the weather conditions are.
Make Up For Ever Aqua Liner provides us with a daunting yet wonderful selection of liquid liners in just about every color imaginable. Need a eyeliner that’ll stay put in this sticky, July heat? I think I’ve found your answer!
I’ve been using the Mat Black (#13) one for over a month now and it’s really been living up to all the hype. It’s definitely waterproof, smudgeproof and basically element-proof. I’ve been through NYC heatwaves and beach days with my Aqua liner and it has yet to fail me. The applicator is the perfect size for any liquid liner I’ve used throughout the years and goes on super smooth.
When removing, be sure to use eye makeup remover (because this stuff’s tough and won’t budge). I also sometimes try using this on the outside of my waterline to line the rim of my eyes. Sometimes, it works to my advantage and stays put. Other times, it fades off or gets flaky. But besides that, I truly have no complaints with the Aqua liner.
Pick it up before summer ends, you won’t be sorry! Happy lining!
$23 at Sephora
Say hello to another required summer savior: blotting papers!
They’re small, discreet and often overlooked, but they’re a great thing to keep handy in your bag on these unfortunately humid summer days. (I mean, it’s grey skies and muggy as hell over here on the East Coast…that’s just cruel, Mother Nature.)
I always thought I belonged in the populous of dry-skinned sisters. However, this summer (what with all the heat, makeup and constant running around NYC like a madwoman) my skin starts to look oily by lunch. Not cool.
Luckily for me (and all of you), Sephora makes blotting papers (100 sheets) for $8! They provide a wide array to choose from: lavender, tea tree, natural (organic) and Vitamin C/E. It soaks up oil and makes skin look matte without ruining your makeup. You’ll have a whole new outlook on freshening up and it’s such an easy way to maintain your makeup throughout these hot summer days we have ahead of us.